[Samba] PDC/BDC Domain Logins Samba 2.2.7

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Mon May 5 19:10:07 GMT 2003

We're about to start migrating from Windows NT 4.0 to a Samba controlled
setup.  I've got a question about the functionality of the Samba PDCs and
BDCs.

In my Windows setup I have three domains that are defined by geographic
locations.  Each of these domains "trusts" the other.  In Samba 2.2.7, I
can't have the trusts, so I'm looking at creating one giant domain that will
be comprised of one Samba PDC and two Samba BDCs.  These domains are/will be
separated with IP subnets, WAN lines and routers.

My question is, in one of the remote locations (which will house a BDC) will
the local BDC be the main authentication source?  Or will the request get
forwarded to the PDC?

I know in Windows the request would be kept local, but I want to make sure
that they will remain so in the Samba world too.  These offices are
connected only by 128k Frame Relay lines and I'd hate for every
authentication request to be sent down those slow lines.

Thanks,

Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager
Nesbitt Engineering, Inc.