[Samba] Difficulty with Samba 2.2.8 and native CUPS PS drivers

David F. Severski davidski-samba at deadheaven.com
Sat Mar 29 18:11:19 GMT 2003

I've recently attempted to convert from the Adobe PostScript drivers for my
Canon BJC=2110 printer over to the native CUPS Windows PS drivers and can't
quite get things to work correctly.  After deleting the printer on my
WinXP SP1 clients, verifying under "Server Properties" that the Adobe driver
was removed, then reconnecting to my Samba printer, I connect fine but receive
the error that the "printer drive is not installed on this computer" when
attempting to go into properties or print to that device.

Checking out the C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\2 directory shows
the following files:
	Canon_BJC.ppd
	cups.hlp
	cupsdrvr.dll
	cupsui.dll

Going into the registy, at HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\Print\
Environments\Windows NT x85\Drivers\Version-2\Canon_BJC I do have entries
to the various CUPS driver files.  I'm not familiar with what all the values
at this location should be set, but I don't see anything obviously broken.

Printing directly from the CUPS server via lp commands works fine.

I'd appreciate any pointers to corect this problem.  Thanks!

Below is my smbd.conf file for reference:

[global]
log level = 1
oplocks = yes
level2 oplocks = yes

workgroup = DEADHEAVEN

server string = Geoff - The Deadheaven Domain Server
hosts allow = 192.168.0.

printer admin = davidski cnilan
load printers = yes
printcap name = cups