[Samba] Shares with long names not accessible from winNT...

Satish K. Pagare Satish.Pagare at Oracle.COM
Fri Mar 21 10:49:10 GMT 2003

Kai Blin wrote:

>>I am able to browse this share through win2k but not from winNT.
>>But If I change the share name to [Satish] , basically a short name
>>I am able to browse it thru winnt as well. Is this expected behaviour?
>>

>Indeed it is. Try running testparm with a long sharename. it'll tell you
>btw, can't you put the description into description, and not into the share
>name?

Thanks ! I checked the smb.conf with testparm and now the share names
are no longer more than 8 characters. Actually I wanted to make the
share names also more than 8 charcters. but apparently its not allowed !:(

Regards,
Satish/

>>Any workaround, solutions ?
>>

>See above.
>
>HTH, Kai

 "Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and
buildings and start wars etc...and all that dolphins do is swim in the
water, eat fish and play around. Dolphins believe that they are smarter
for exactly the same reasons."                     (HHGTG - Doug Adams)