[Samba] Shares with long names not accessible from winNT...

Kai Blin kai.blin at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Mar 21 11:43:46 GMT 2003

On Friday 21 March 2003 11:49, Satish K. Pagare wrote:

> Thanks ! I checked the smb.conf with testparm and now the share names
> are no longer more than 8 characters. Actually I wanted to make the
> share names also more than 8 charcters. but apparently its not allowed !:(

It is allowed. There's nothing in the SMB spec that doesn't allow it, as far
as I am aware. Testparm just warns that there could be problems. (And
obviously there are.)

Cheers, Kai

--
Kai Blin 	Linux system administrator 	Tel: Ring-86592
Allgemeine Chirurgie 	Universitaetsklinikum Tuebingen

BOFH excuse #418:

Sysadmins busy fighting SPAM.