[Samba] Shares with long names not accessible from winNT...

Satish K. Pagare Satish.Pagare at Oracle.COM
Fri Mar 21 09:50:53 GMT 2003

Hi All,

     I have the following section in my smb.conf file:
[Satish' Hindi Alltime Hits - Gems]
path                    = /mnt/d-drive/Music/Satish' Hindi Alltime Hits
   Gems
browseable              = yes
public                  = yes
readonly                = yes
guest ok                = yes

I am able to browse this share through win2k but not from winNT.
But If I change the share name to [Satish] , basically a short name
I am able to browse it thru winnt as well. Is this expected behaviour?
Any workaround, solutions ?

Thanks in advance,
Satish/

  "Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and
buildings and start wars etc...and all that dolphins do is swim in the
water, eat fish and play around. Dolphins believe that they are smarter
for exactly the same reasons."                     (HHGTG - Doug Adams)