[Samba] Failed to set delete on close flag

Markus Korth markus.korth at zn-ag.com
Fri Mar 21 08:54:38 GMT 2003

HiHo!

I don't know wether this is an old one, but I've never seen this
messages before:

Due to security issues I updated our servers to samba-2.2.8 with the
following "configure"-options:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba-2.2.8 --with-pam --with-ldapsam
--with-syslog --with-quotas --with-acl-support

After the update I'm experiencing strange behaviour when deleteing
complete directories:

All files in this directories will get deleted, but the directory itself
is still visible in the Explorer (in this case a Windows 2000, SP2
system). Explorer is producing a error message ("Folder has been moved
or delete" (roughly translated into english as the original is a german
message)). Samba is logging the following message to syslog:
set_delete_on_close_internal: failed to change delete on close flag for
file bla/blub/foldername

Pressing "F5" (Refresh) in Explorer deletes the corresponding entry in
the directory tree display.

Server system is a Linux 2.4.17, XFS filesystem, quotas turned on.

Any hints?
    Markus

Senior Executive - Systemadministration

Direct Phone: + 49 / 234 9787-57