[Samba] smbpasswd hangs /usr/bin/passwd

sc at mtxnet.com sc at mtxnet.com
Thu Mar 20 07:10:55 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am running Samba 2.2.3a-6 on a Debian(testing) machine.

It is running as a PDC for 15 Win2K(SP2/3) systems. Everything runs
beautifully except the users cannot change their passwds. When a user
CTRL-ALT-DEL and change passwd they ultimately get a messages stating that
the old passwd is incorrect....

If I log into a shell as a user on the system and invoke smbpasswd, It
goes through all of the motions of asking for the old and new passwds,
then it hangs for about 15-20 secs.  While its hung, if I invoke `ps auxw
| grep passwd` I see this:

sc    1567  0.0  0.2  2840 1340 pts/1  S    22:46   0:00 smbpasswd -D10
root  1569  0.0  0.1  1720  712 pts/0  S    22:46   0:00 /usr/bin/passwd sc

Everything looks good because I have "unix passwd sync = yes" and I see
that the system passwd command is running as root(good) as well as the
username is being passed to it.

After the 15-20 sec wait smbpasswd eventually returns stating, "Password
changed for user sc". The thing is that neither the samba or the system
passwd is changed, and whats more, the system passwd command is still
running in the background until I kill it manually.

Has anyone seen this or know what is going on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below are my [global] settings.

Thanks

[global]
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c "NT Machine
Account"
        domain master = Yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        wins support = yes
        max log size = 1000
        interfaces = 10.0.25.1/24
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        large readwrite = yes
        security = user
        local master = yes
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        passwd chat debug = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spas
sword:* %n\n

        printing = lprng
        dns proxy = no
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        preferred master = yes
        logon script = %U.bat
        map to guest = Bad User
        domain admin group = @ntadmin ntadmin
;       invalid users = root
        domain logons = Yes
        printer admin = @ntadmin @users
        unix password sync = True
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        workgroup = UBSC0
        server string = %h server (MTX v1.2-02)
        message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm
%s' &
        syslog = 1
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m