[Samba] samba or clientis diconnecting...

Andi Schüler andis at bossmail.de
Wed Mar 19 13:12:11 GMT 2003

hi!

i´ve a problem in my lan with samba an the clients:
everything is working fine, but samba or the client (i don´t know who) is
disconnecting frequently althoug i´m working at a file on a share.
so when i want to save it´s not possible.
i´ve to try saving 4-5 times an the the daemon at the server is working
again.
i can´t say how long´s the time until disconnect because it´s different.
sometimes when i browse with my client the network, the server isn´t found
until a daemon-process is startet on the server. i´ve to browse 5-6 times
"to start" a daemon-process on the server.

the smbclient -L Homer shows 2 server to me...that´s not right in my lan.
only Homer is the server or everything.
or does it mean the available "servers" in the network?

and what is meant with
IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.2.4 (PDC))
ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba 2.2.4 (PDC))
in the shares?

does anybody knows the fault?
thx for help Andi

Situation:
Server
OS: Slackware 8.1
Kernel: 2.4.18 (compiled)
samba: 2.2.4 (comming with slackware)
eth0: 192.168.0.1

Client
OS: W2k
192.168.0.2

root at Homer:/etc/rc.d# smbclient -L Homer
INFO: Debug class all level = 3   (pid 31416 from pid 31416)
added interface ip=192.168.0.1 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[SIMPSONS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.4]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        Homes          Disk      Home
        Andi           Disk      Chef
        Wiebke         Disk      Cheffin
        Allgemein      Disk      Allgemein
        MP3            Disk      MP3
        Downloads      Disk      Downloads
        MBM            Disk      MBM
        FTP            Disk      FTP-Server
        WWW            Disk      WWW
        Homepage       Disk      Homepage
        GDILine        Disk      Warenwirtschaft
        InterBase      Disk      InterBase
        Lenelies       Disk      Lenelies
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.2.4 (PDC))
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba 2.2.4 (PDC))
        root           Disk      Home

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        HOMER                Samba 2.2.4 (PDC)