FW: [Samba] backupexec

Rick Segeberg rick.segeberg at waterford.org
Wed Mar 19 01:01:31 GMT 2003

Typically with BE, you install an agent on any machines you want to back up.  I'm sure the windows version will see other windows machines, but you probably won't get very good backup performance from them without the agent (it helps compress data over the wire for faster backups - at least that's the way it works with netware, even though it's technically possible to not use the agent even with netware).

You probably go to Veritas site and look up Unix agent and any related KB's.  Even if you can see your "pdc" without the agent, I guarantee that the agent will make things work better and faster.  Also, with the windows version of BE, you'll be able to do "daily" backups (meaning files that have changed today), rather than a full backup every time (due to Linux having no archive bit).

Research it at Veritas site - you'll be glad you did.

Rick.