[Samba] Re: XP "logon failure" but still logs on -- no roamingprofile

richard rcoates at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 18 02:09:01 GMT 2003

> Okay.  I guess the next thing to do is try with a fresh installation and
> then see if it occurs again as elements get added.
our setup... xp-pro (pre sp1) and office2k, local profiles only,
sign-or-seal; ....no problems so far.

> Thanks.  I've noticed that XP has provisions for requiring passwords to
> be changed, but didn't look in to it at all.  Perhaps a small script which
> sets the necessary registry entries?
I'm trying to generate more interest in using already builtin Xp policy
options/features. Why re-invent the wheel? Have you been following this
thread?  comments?...
Re: [Samba] gpedit.msc as centralized policy for 2k/xp clients

> Our password-expiration policy here involves me going around once
seen Xp password expire in group/local policy?

> a year and beating on people's heads to give me new passwords which I then
> enter in to a program that goes and changes them in the half-dozen or so
> places where it's stored: nis, samba, mysql, windoze, etc.  <sigh>
...maybe ldap or mysql password database since you already have it? saw
a module for it somewhere...
regards,
Richard Coates.