[Samba] Re: XP "logon failure" but still logs on -- no roamingprofile

Brian White bcwhite at precidia.com
Tue Mar 18 18:26:14 GMT 2003

> > Okay.  I guess the next thing to do is try with a fresh installation and
> > then see if it occurs again as elements get added.
>
> our setup... xp-pro (pre sp1) and office2k, local profiles only,
> sign-or-seal; ....no problems so far.

I didn't have any troubles with local profiles either.  My hope was to set
up all the Windoze boxes like the unix ones which would allow everyone to
log in to any machine and get their standard account (though with a speed
penalty since the home directory would be mounted over the network instead
of on the local drive).

We don't have that now on the Win98 boxes and doesn't seem to be much of
a problem, but I'd like to try...

> > Thanks.  I've noticed that XP has provisions for requiring passwords to
> > be changed, but didn't look in to it at all.  Perhaps a small script which
> > sets the necessary registry entries?
>
> I'm trying to generate more interest in using already builtin Xp policy
> options/features. Why re-invent the wheel? Have you been following this
> thread?  comments?...
> Re: [Samba] gpedit.msc as centralized policy for 2k/xp clients

I'm afraid it's all pretty much Greek to me.  I have very little understanding
of how group policies work.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite at precidia.com )