[Samba] Logon Script Doesn't

Kyle Loree kyle at caisnet.com
Fri Mar 14 03:40:44 GMT 2003

see bottom

"Bob Crandell" <bob at assuredcomp.com> writes:
>Hi,
>
>I've finally been dragged kicking and screaming into the wonderful world
>of XP.
>I've been able to join a domain and login with the help of the docs on
>samba.org and
>gleaning info from this list.  Google and I don't get along.
>
>My question is How do I get the logon script to run when XP logs in?  Win
>98 doesn't
>have a problem running the logon script.
>
>Here is part of the smb.conf:
>[global]
>        comment = Home based server
>        server string = Samba Server v2.2.7
>        netbios name = OciCat
>        workgroup = CRANDELL
>        security = server
>        encrypt passwords = yes
>        preferred master = yes
>        domain logons = yes
>        domain master = yes
>        local master = yes
>
>        logon script = %U.bat
>        logon drive = H:
>        logon path =
>        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g users -s
>/dev/false
>-M %u
>
>The batch files exist and are working with Win98.
>
>I miss DOS.
>
>Thanks
>
>--

I have it working using

logon script = %u.bat

my netlogon script was created on a 2k machine and is as follows

@echo off
net use o: \\foo\bar /persistent:no
net use p: \\servername\sharename /persistent:no

the persistent is mainly for nt machines or machines that leave the
network.  it turns off reconnect.

it matters that the script has the proper line breaks
place the file in the netlogon dir and login with the matching user.
It should work well.

Also logon path is where you want to store profiles, usually
logon path = \\crandell\profiles\%u

that would create a dir for each user that logs in.
also recomend using
logon home = \\crandell\profiles\%u

I don't totally understand why they haven't been integrated into one, but
the logon home handles 9x machines.
Good luck, hope this works.

Kyle Loree
Rendek Communications