[Samba] Installing printer drivers

Bob Crandell bob at assuredcomp.com
Thu Mar 13 23:50:48 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to copy printer driver files to the server in a way that workstations can
install from the server just by right-clicking on the printer icon and choosing
"Install".

I created the [printers] share and created the W32X86, etc directories.  In XP I
right-clicked on the printer icon and installed the drivers.  It looked like it
worked.  Looking at it from the linux side, I can see the other directories created
under the ones I made and the printer driver files are there.  However when I right
click on the icon from Win98, it asks for the driver disk.

Here is part of the smb.conf:
[global]
        comment = Home based server
        server string = Samba Server v2.2.7

<SNIP>

        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = yes
        printing = bsd
        disable spoolss = no
        printer admin = administrator, @ntadmin, root

[print$]
        available = yes
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /home/samba/printers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = Yes
        read only = yes
        write list = @ntadmin, administrator, root

[HP990]
        available = yes
        comment = HP990 Color Printer
        path = /var/spool/lpd/lp0
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
        queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p stop
        queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start
        guest ok = yes
        public = yes
        printer = lp0
        writable = no