[Samba] SAMBA - first time trying to get it working; yes, I am reading the manuals

David Jackson davidj411 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 18:40:33 GMT 2003

see below:

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Weiss [mailto:input.maillists at kwnet.at]
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 12:36 PM
To: David Jackson
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] SAMBA - first time trying to get it working; yes, I
am reading the manuals

David Jackson schrieb:
> In the docs i have read so far, there are several questions I have and I
am
> not sure which question I am getting wrong when trying to install and
> configure my Red Hat 8 server.
>
> 1)in the http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
> document they say you should run "$ nroff ?man smbd.8 | more" to get the
man
> pages.  "nroff" is not supported on my system; however, i was able to get
> some man pages of some different sorts.
>
> 2) Do i need to build the binaries in Red Hat 8.0 ?
> Red Hat 8 has lots of things pre-done; I am not sure if this is one of
them.

if u did install the binary package and u want a "standard"
installation" so u do not need to build - samba is installed  I said during
the installation that I wanted SAMBA installed.  But beyond that step, I
have done nothing to my Red Hat 8 system as far as further SAMBA
installation. Did SAMBA get installed during the installation? When i look
through my system, I see files that relate to smb which leads me to believe
it is installed.   Someone had mentioned the command "inetd" and "SWAT", but
these too were confusing b/c inetd does not exist on Red Hat 8.  It has been
replaced with xinetd.  What would the command be then to open SWAT?

./configure and make u only need for the source package...

the only thing u have to do is to configure smb.conf and start samba...
('service samba start' or 'service smb start') THANKS! but how do i create
the hare and the mount points?

try man smb.conf for options...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.  I TRULY APPRECIATE THIS COMMUNITY.
David Jackson