[Samba] SAMBA - first time trying to get it working; yes, I am reading the manuals

Kurt Weiss input.maillists at kwnet.at
Sat Mar 8 17:35:43 GMT 2003

David Jackson schrieb:
> In the docs i have read so far, there are several questions I have and I am
> not sure which question I am getting wrong when trying to install and
> configure my Red Hat 8 server.
>
> 1)in the http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
> document they say you should run "$ nroff ?man smbd.8 | more" to get the man
> pages.  "nroff" is not supported on my system; however, i was able to get
> some man pages of some different sorts.
>
> 2) Do i need to build the binaries in Red Hat 8.0 ?
> Red Hat 8 has lots of things pre-done; I am not sure if this is one of them.

if u did install the binary package and u want a "standard"
installation" so u do not need to build - samba is installed

./configure and make u only need for the source package...

the only thing u have to do is to configure smb.conf and start samba...
('service samba start' or 'service smb start')

try man smb.conf for options...