[Samba] SAMBA - first time trying to get it working; yes, I am reading the manuals

David Jackson davidj411 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 17:04:13 GMT 2003

In the docs i have read so far, there are several questions I have and I am
not sure which question I am getting wrong when trying to install and
configure my Red Hat 8 server.

1)in the http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
document they say you should run "$ nroff ?man smbd.8 | more" to get the man
pages.  "nroff" is not supported on my system; however, i was able to get
some man pages of some different sorts.

2) Do i need to build the binaries in Red Hat 8.0 ?
Red Hat 8 has lots of things pre-done; I am not sure if this is one of them.

The command "root# ./configure --help" does not work for me. What should I
be typing?

3) these command also don't work and I don't know why:
        a) root# make
        b) root# makeinstallbin
        c) root# make installman
        d) root# make revert

4) It says to "Create the smb configuration file."  However, smb.conf
already exists.  Is this just a sample file or should i change it contents
to reflect my needs?

5) They said in this document that thie following would be the simplest
smb.conf file; but is it really complete?

"[global]
workgroup = MYGROUP
[homes]
guest ok = no
read only = no"

6) How do you crate a share on a Red Hat 8.0 server?

7) How do you mount the share also?

I apologize for this email being so long.  Any help with any of the
questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David Jackson