[Samba] Disappearing Shares?

John newsx2 at bestpond.com
Tue Mar 4 03:37:17 GMT 2003

I am new to Linux and running SuSE V8.0 with KDE desktop and
Samba 2.2.7 on a small bnetwor5k which also has a Windows NT
PC and a notebook.

On the Linux PC's I have used LinNeighborhood to mount the
various shares and can readily view files on the Linux PC's, or on
the windoze machines.

I have had a number of occasions where I have had to power down
my main Linux PC, and far more often the windoze PC (which is
also presently my gateway to the net via ADSL).

My problem is that although I have set preferences in
LinNeighborhood to memorise mounted shares and remount at next
startup, this doesn't happen.  I may have restarted my Linux PC and
the gone to Konqueror to view or transfer a file from the windows
PC and find that the share has either disappeared totally from the
mount point (home/john/mnt) or I can access the drive, but cannot
see any files.

What I really want is to set the shares so that if a machine has to
down, all shares are automagically reconnected, and files are
visible. Couls someone advise me on how best to accomplish this?

John

This email has been pre-scanned using the latest Anti Virus
software for your peace of mind.

Please remember to maintain your own anti virus up to date with
the latest reference files.