[Samba] samba failover plan on unix OS using hardware RAID

Jeanne Schock sambanews at regionalhelpwanted.com
Fri Jun 13 17:19:42 GMT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: bkrusic at yahoo.com [mailto:bkrusic at yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 12:25 PM
To: Jeanne Schock; samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] samba failover plan on unix OS using hardware RAID

Bri-

I appreciate the comments. To answer some questions -

This is an office with a limited number of personnel that isn't going to
grow significantly over the next 12-18 months, which is as far as I can
look. It will just be serving up samba, dns, dhcp - that's all, not even
acting as a file server. I don't think that IDE RAID, with a top quality
card, is short-sighted in this regard. That said - I will take a good look
at your comments re. scsi hardware. thanks a lot.

define my needs: while I agree that "reliability" is a bit generic, the need
I have defined is very specific, and wasn't outright addressed in your
comments. I need to be certain, that if one harddrive fails, that the other
harddrive will continue as the pdc without any disturbance between XP client
and samba server, ie. no loss of trust relationship. Simply put, my bosses
want proof that a RAID will provide this failover, and I can't find anything
definite on the net on this issue.

Thanks again,

Jeanne Schock