[Samba] Samba member server not seen in network neighborhood

Kirk Shimek Kirk.Shimek at TRW.COM
Thu Jun 12 14:01:27 GMT 2003

Hello All,

Samba 2.2.5 / AIX 5.1  -  NO ERRORS in any logs
Can map shares and even correct authentication / user ID mappings work from all WIN2K domain clients using a URL or share mapping utilities.

Samba member is not populated / seen in Network Neighborhood

but "nmblookup -M -" ,querying MSBROWSE fails with "failed to find name __MSBROWSE__#01
and if I try to query with nmblookup the Samba server Name / IP address it also fails to find either.

Any suggestions on what further steps will point to a problem and ultimately a solution.  The only thing I can think of is to disjoin the domain and rejoin with "smbpasswd -j DOMAIN . . ."

Please help and Thank You for any help given.

Kirk Shimek Information Systems
Systems Engineer - UNIX Administrator
TRW Automotive
507-457-3750 ext.8241
kirk.shimek at trw.com
WINONA MN
-------------- next part --------------
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px"
bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>Hello All,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Samba 2.2.5 / AIX 5.1&nbsp; -&nbsp; NO ERRORS in any logs</DIV>
<DIV>Can map shares and even correct authentication / user ID mappings work from
all WIN2K domain clients using a URL or share mapping utilities.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Samba member is not populated / seen in Network Neighborhood</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>but "nmblookup -M -" ,querying MSBROWSE fails with "failed to find name
__MSBROWSE__#01</DIV>
<DIV>and if I try to query with nmblookup the Samba server Name / IP address it
also fails to find either.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any suggestions on what further&nbsp;steps will point to a problem and
ultimately a solution.&nbsp; The only thing I can think of is to disjoin the
domain and rejoin with "smbpasswd -j DOMAIN . . ."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Please help&nbsp;and Thank You for any help given.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR>Kirk Shimek Information Systems<BR>Systems Engineer - UNIX
Administrator<BR>TRW Automotive<BR>507-457-3750 ext.8241<BR><A
href="mailto:kirk.shimek at trw.com">kirk.shimek at trw.com</A><BR>WINONA
MN</DIV></BODY></HTML>