[Samba] Vanishing Permissions on Shares

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Thu Jul 31 20:45:06 GMT 2003

Do you have the nsswitch.conf entries to allow your nameservice
to resolve usernames through winbind? If samba cannot resolve the
name to a UID using getpwnam then it cannot apply the ACL.

matt.twigg at insurance.sungard.com wrote:

> I am trying to move our network from windows NT-2k to Samba /Linux.
> So far everything is great but there is one main obstacle; when I apply
> permissions to a Samba share via my W2K workstation, the permissions
> instantly disappear.
> This happens regardless of the owner / creator of file or the user / group
> permission I attempt to add.
>
> I have run 2.2.7, 2.2.8, and now 3.0 beta3. All three behave the same,
> though 3.0 seems nicer.
> It's a RedHat 9.0 box with the 2.6 test kernel ( so I can use ACLs).
> I am running Winbind and it works great.
>
> The client workstation is Win2k Sp4.
>
> I have logging on full debug @ 10, and nothing obvious is showing up. In
> fact no errors are being reported at all.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthew Twigg
> Network Administrator
> SunGard Insurance Systems | 313 Speen Street Natick, MA 01760
> (508) 903-1758
>
> Copyright © 2003 by SunGard Data Systems Inc. (or its subsidiaries,
> "SunGard"). All rights reserved. No parts of this document may be
> reproduced or transmitted without SunGard's prior written permission.
> This document contains SunGard's confidential or proprietary information.
> By accepting this document, you agree that: (A)(1) if a pre-existing
> contract containing disclosure and use restrictions exists between your
> company and SunGard, you and your company will use this information
> subject to the terms of the pre-existing contract; or (2) if no such
> pre-existing contract exists, you and your Company agree to protect this
> information and not reproduce or disclose the information in any way; and
> (B) SunGard makes no warranties, express or implied, in this document, and
> SunGard shall not be liable for damages of any kind arising out of use of
> this document.
> --

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D