[Samba] Vanishing Permissions on Shares

matt.twigg at insurance.sungard.com matt.twigg at insurance.sungard.com
Thu Jul 31 20:18:39 GMT 2003

I am trying to move our network from windows NT-2k to Samba /Linux.
So far everything is great but there is one main obstacle; when I apply
permissions to a Samba share via my W2K workstation, the permissions
instantly disappear.
This happens regardless of the owner / creator of file or the user / group
permission I attempt to add.

I have run 2.2.7, 2.2.8, and now 3.0 beta3. All three behave the same,
though 3.0 seems nicer.
It's a RedHat 9.0 box with the 2.6 test kernel ( so I can use ACLs).
I am running Winbind and it works great.

The client workstation is Win2k Sp4.

I have logging on full debug @ 10, and nothing obvious is showing up. In
fact no errors are being reported at all.

Regards,

Matthew Twigg
Network Administrator
SunGard Insurance Systems | 313 Speen Street Natick, MA 01760
(508) 903-1758

Copyright © 2003 by SunGard Data Systems Inc. (or its subsidiaries,
"SunGard"). All rights reserved. No parts of this document may be
reproduced or transmitted without SunGard's prior written permission.
This document contains SunGard's confidential or proprietary information.
By accepting this document, you agree that: (A)(1) if a pre-existing
contract containing disclosure and use restrictions exists between your
company and SunGard, you and your company will use this information
subject to the terms of the pre-existing contract; or (2) if no such
pre-existing contract exists, you and your Company agree to protect this
information and not reproduce or disclose the information in any way; and
(B) SunGard makes no warranties, express or implied, in this document, and
SunGard shall not be liable for damages of any kind arising out of use of
this document.