[Samba] Re: Mdk 9.1, samba-LDAP 2.2.8a/3.0b3 (LDAP) can't print to z53

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Jul 31 17:14:20 GMT 2003

Dragan Krnic wrote:
>>Which doesn't:
>>a)Have any attachments
>

> Thanks. The maintainer closed the bug as fixed. I didn't see the need
> to supply further information. So I left it at that.
>
> I've just posted attachment #62 to bug #82 containing the patch
> diff text I use to incorporate changes in my 2.2.8a.
>

>>b)link to a cvs diff
>

> Huh?

Something like this:
http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba/source/lib/util_unistr.c.diff?r1=1.45.2.27&r2=1.45.2.28&only_with_tag=SAMBA_2_2

Which according to the cvs log:
http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba/source/lib/util_unistr.c.diff?r1=1.45.2.27&r2=1.45.2.28&only_with_tag=SAMBA_2_2

Fixes this. But I don't see a patch in cvs to
source/rpc_server/srv_spoolss_nt.c that relates to this. So is the fix
above sufficient?

>>c)Give any information that would be useful in tracking down the
>>patch (I have looked, the first time you posted this link).
>>
>>All my printer driver uploads have worked correctly on our 2.2.8a
>>packages, (I did one last week on 9.0/2.2.8a-2mdk).
>

> Which is really interesting. Can you look up the section cited in
> my patch file to see whether Mandrake patched it on their own or the
> patch is already in cvs without a link to it in bugzilla?

No, we didn't have a patch for this (although you can check for yourself
 in cvs at http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/SPECS/samba/)

>>So, unless I see an official patch list for 2.2.8a (or there is a
>>new release, maybe also fixing the problem with cups printers not
>>appearing without a restart of smbd) or a transparent way of
>>finding which patches should be applied, I won't rebuild packages
>>for 5 releases.
>
> You're under no obligation to do anything, especially if you don't
> have the problem. Your name just popped up in a thread I shared with
> Jim for some reason and I didn't remove it from later correspondence.

Well, I maintain samba/samba3 in Mandrake, and a number of people have
implied that there are patches for 2.2.8a which should be applied (and I
would like to see the one for the cups printer list myself) ... but
there is no list available of those that should be applied ... so
distributors must guess from cvs logs what should be applied (which IMHO
is not the ideal situation for the samba team if they want their
software to work out-the-box on the majority of deployments). And with a
potential switch to samba-3.0.0 just before the upcoming 9.2, I would
prefer not to have to go chasing after patches for 2.2.8a (I have enough
to test with samba3).

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202