[Samba] General Samba Printer Admin question

Helen Nulty hnulty at email.unc.edu
Thu Jul 31 15:22:49 GMT 2003

How do you handle general samba print job administration?
Anyone have print command scripts to share?

We would like our printer admins to be able to "pause" and
"resume" printing.  Now we get "Error processing command"
when "Pause Printing" is attempted from an NT workstation.
I presume this is because the admin lacks authority to
execute the lppause/lpresume commands.  Ours are:
    lp -d %p -%j -H hold
    lp -d %p -%j -H resume

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Helen

Other pertinent details:
samba version 2.2.8a
solaris 2.8
smb.conf:

# Global parameters
 [global]
         workgroup = UNCSPH
         netbios name = BIANCA
         netbios aliases = SPH1
         server string = Samba Server 2.2.8a
         interfaces = qfe* nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/255.255.0.0
         security = DOMAIN
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         min passwd length = 6
         password server = CORDELIA CRESSIDA
         passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *Enter login(NIS+) password:* %o\n
*New*password* %n\n *Re-enter*password:* %n\n *changed for*
         username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map
         log level = 3
         syslog only = Yes
         max log size = 50
         printcap name = /etc/printers.conf
         os level = 0
         wins proxy = Yes
         wins server = nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
         host msdfs = Yes
         printer admin = administrator admin system root
hnulty testsmb
         security mask = 03777777
         force security mode = 03777777
         directory security mask = 03777777
         force directory security mode = 03777777
         hosts allow = nnn.nnn.0.0/255.255.0.0
nnn.nnn.0.0/255.255.0.0
         hosts deny = all
         printing = bsd
         print command = lp -c -d %p %s; rm %s
         lpq command = lpq -P %p
         lprm command = lprm -P %p -%j
         lppause command = lp -d %p -%j -H hold
         lpresume command = lp -d %p -%j -H resume

 [printers]
         path = /var/spool/samba
         guest account =
         printer admin = administrator admin root system
hnulty testsmb
         guest ok = Yes
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No

 [print$]
         comment = Support uploading of printer driver files

         path = /usr/local/samba/printers
         write list = admin administrator system root
         force user = system
         force group = system