[Samba] Win98 troubles

Bob Crandell bob at assuredcomp.com
Thu Jul 31 04:59:56 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have a client with 2 Win98 out of 15 computers that refuse to see the server when
they first turn them on in the morning.  When they logon as a new user, not a
reboot, it connects and they work fine for the rest of the day.  They can even
reboot whenever they want throughout the day and it works, but when they turn it off
over night, the computers refuse to see the domain the next morning.  Help.

One computer's IP is DHCP the other is static.  The server OS is Slackware 9.0,
Samba 2.2.8a.  I added the server netbios name and the domain name IP address to the
workstations' local hosts file and I added those workstations' IP addresses to the
server hosts file.  I hard coded the network speed to 100/half duplex.

[global]
        comment = Our server
        workgroup = CCWGroup
        netbios name = Master
        server string = Samba Server 2.2.8a
        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        wins support = yes
        local master = yes
        security = user

        printing = bsd
        load printers = yes
        printcap name = /etc/printcap

        guest account = pcguest
#   Win9x needs this
        logon script = %U.bat
#   WinNT needs these
#       logon script = logon.cmd
#        logon drive =
#        logon home =
        logon path =
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g users -s
/dev/false -M %u
        encrypt passwords = yes

        debug level = 1
        max log size = 50
        log file = /var/log/samba.log

        kernel oplocks = no
        nt acl support = yes
        csc policy = disable
        write cache size = 262144
#       socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes
        deadtime = 120
        os level = 64