[Samba] Win98 troubles

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jul 31 05:46:03 GMT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Bob Crandell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a client with 2 Win98 out of 15 computers that refuse to see the server when
> they first turn them on in the morning.  When they logon as a new user, not a
> reboot, it connects and they work fine for the rest of the day.  They can even
> reboot whenever they want throughout the day and it works, but when they turn it off
> over night, the computers refuse to see the domain the next morning.  Help.
>
> One computer's IP is DHCP the other is static.  The server OS is Slackware 9.0,
> Samba 2.2.8a.  I added the server netbios name and the domain name IP address to the
> workstations' local hosts file and I added those workstations' IP addresses to the
> server hosts file.  I hard coded the network speed to 100/half duplex.

Looks like you have chosen to make life painful Bob. That's what you get
without WINS.

Suggest you add to [globals] wins support = yes

Then in your dhcpd.conf file add:
	options netbios-name-servers 'IP-addr-of-Samba-Server';
	options netbios-node-type 8;

Then on all hard coded IP address workstations set the IP of your Samba
server as the WINS server address in the TCP/IP settings.

That should help to getthings moving a little smoother.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org