[Samba] getting rid of NetBIOS

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-samba at benshaw.com
Tue Jul 29 16:05:06 GMT 2003

> Yes, just make it listen on port 445 by starting samba with the -p 445
> command-line switch. If you have any Win9x/ME clients on your network,
> though, they won't like that. ;)

That worked beautifully (had to specify a different configuration file so
the PID ran elsewhere (I'm running two copies, one over 137-139 and one on
445)...  Unfortunately it too seems to limit the size of packets to one
ethernet frame.

I'm fairly certain it's win2k that is doing this limiting; I have smb.conf
set up to allow 65536 byte packets.

So it didn't work for what I wanted, but it is running without NetBIOS now
:-)  Thank you.

Regards,
Andrew