[Samba] Mandatory User Profile

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Fri Jul 25 20:33:12 GMT 2003

I'm pulling my hair out with this. I see that the NT4 white-paper (very
helpful and makes a lot of sense) says to make a Template user, set things
the way you want them, and then copy their profile to the server. However,
I try this, their profile comes out fine, I take care of all of the
"Windows is now installing Office 2000" messages, and end up with a user
where everything just works. I copy it to the server, log in as some other
user, and MOST of the stuff works properly. I get the right desktop,
mostly ('cept ie, which I removed, comes back), but it forgets all about
the fact that I already "installed" Office 2000 and all of those other
programs that do something on their first run. What am I doing wrong here?
Is it some permissions garbage?

Also, I'd really prefer to be doing this with a LOCAL mandatory profile at
the moment, but whenever I do that, the thing will copy the profile to my
username (even though it has an NTuser.man) and then just leave that new
one around, unlocked.

I think the first one may have something to do with the fact that it
doesn't realize that the server profile is roaming. At any rate, nothing
I've read or tried seems to help me out. It's even more infuriating
because logging in a second time immediately after logging off yields an
environment that is perfect... but, that is obviously not a "fix."

Thank you so much for any help.

|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  |  | Ryan Novosielski - Jr. UNIX Systems Admin
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _|  | novosirj at umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent. | IST/ACS - NJMS Medical Science Bldg - C630