[Samba] Win2K sp4 can't print

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at kaman.com
Thu Jul 24 14:33:49 GMT 2003

Start, Settings, Printers, Add Printer, Local Printer,
Next, Create a New Port; Type:  Local Port, enter the
UNC for the Samba share as the Port Name.  Done!
NOTE:  The share has to exist in order to add it. You'll
get a "Not Found" error if it doesn't.

> >   To be honest, I've pretty much given up on printing in
> > Samba 2.x, and gone over to Standard TCP/IP Ports, printing
> > to the lprng daemon on the Samba server.  I posted a whole
> > bunch of times trying to get a way to enumerate the correct
> > print job info on the clients, instead of the smbprn.xxx.xxx
> > that is usually available.  I never got a solution...
> >

> I'm using the stock RH 8.0 Samba 2.2.5-10 and LPRng 3.8.9-6.
>
> It took me a few days of google searches before I finally found this..
>
> Add the -U%U -J"%J" parameters to get lpq to display the document name
> instead of smbprn.xxxxxx.xxxxx. This works for both W2k and W9x
> clients.  The quotes around the %J are required.
>
> Mine looks like this:
>
> print command = lpr -P%p -U%U -J"%J" -r %s

I'll give that a try and see what's displayed.

> Be aware of one oddity, on our w2k clients with the Novell Netware
> client installed, if the user is logged in the local
> workstation account
> as administrator and the Novell account as his regular account, print
> jobs will show up with the name as "Remote Download Document"
> instead of
> the real document name. If you create a local workstation account that
> matches the Novell user account and have the user use that
> instead, then
> the print jobs will display the correct document name.

All of my users are admin's on their PCs, and log onto the PC
with their Domain user account.  They also display "Remote
Downlevel Document" instead of the file name.  No Novell
client installed.  No local accounts.