[Samba] Pseudo-GPO Support for Samba

Matt Neimeyer lists at neimeyer.org
Thu Jul 10 16:18:14 GMT 2003

>>I didn't mean that so much... although that is something else... I meant
>>more that if I have a common My Documents folder (and at home I do) if I
>>change the logon script to point to a new folder it takes two logons to
>>have that folder redirected.
>
>I tried manually changing the registry key:
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
>Folders\Personal
>to a different value. You are right, even with manual modification, the
>change did not take effect until I logged off and back on. There is
>obviously some other process that must take place before the update
>happens. Unless, I just have the wrong key, which is entirely possible.

I'm thinking of taking the approach of creating a "version tag" file in the
windows system folder. If the "version" on the machine is different than
the version of the startup script (since I don't change it all that often)
I'll just pop up a warning message and force a log off of the account...
that way if I install any software... or change any registry settings it
will be good to go.

It's a little brute force but heck I figure it should work... unless you do
find some hidden API call to force a re-read of the registry.

>In the meantime, I am going to put together a "plan" for the GPO thing and
>will post to the list, probably tomorrow sometime.

I'll be waiting patiently... :)

Thanks

Matt