[Samba] LMB question

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Jul 8 19:35:47 GMT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, D. Rick Anderson wrote:

> Can somebody explain to me how the whole Local Master Browser thing works?
> I'm running samba across 3 subnets, and all the docs tell you to set up a
> Local Master Browser on each subnet. I couldn't find any documentation on
> how to actually do that so I used the remote announce option in smb.conf,
> and it's working great, but now there are two machines (one for each
> subnet outside of the servers subnet) that keep claiming to be the Local
> Master Browser (per the log files on the samba server). If I turn off
> remote annouce, then those machines can't see the domain, and nobody can
> logon.
>
> This hurts my brain.
>
> I don't care how it works out, but either I need to set up Local Master
> Browsers, or I need to leave remote announce on and force those machines
> to stop trying to become the Local Master Browser.

Suggest you look at:

	http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

There is a whole chapter (the first in the Advanced Networking section) on
browsing etc. It should answer all your questions.

If this does not help, then email me direct with a summary of what you
need that is missing. I'll add it if you can tell me the deficiency.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org