[Samba] Samba + vmware win xp not working

Andrei Cojocaru uxvt at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 20:11:49 GMT 2003

Hey everybody,

I'm running Debian (woody) on 2.4.21 kernel. I
installed the samba package (Version 2.2.3a-12.3 for
Debian). Win XP is with sp1. Win XP is running on the
linux machine in vmware  as a guest OS with a bridged
network setup. I can telnet from win xp (192.168.0.10)
to linux (192.168.0.2) on tcp port 139. I have no
firewall installed on winxp or  linux afaik I disabled
them. When pinging the IP of the linux machine it
works fine, the linux smbclient can connect to the
share fine. When I try to ping or net view the linux
machine from xp I get a host name not found yet I took
a packet capture using ethereal and it seems like win
xp is not seeing the replies by the linux samba even
they are there (packet dump in ethereal format is
attached). The tcpdump from the linux machine confirms
that it is receiving the win xp name requests and
replying to them. I have enabled enable netbios over
tcp/ip in win xp.

I don't know what's going since I have some
metal&circuitry machines running windows and when I
try to ping or net view the linux samba machine it
works fine from them.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Note: all IPs given are static.

I have attached my smb.conf & ethereal packet capture
from winxp when trying to ping & net view the samba
linux machine.