[Samba] Windows XP logon and Samba PDC

Daniel Zeiss dzeiss at gwdg.de
Fri Jul 4 21:03:42 GMT 2003

Régis,

> i've tried all the modifications i-ve found to login with Windows XP Pro
> client on a Samba Server as PDC but nothing have worked.

which is not a very telling error description, but I assume that
something very early went wrong.

I have had the same problem, see my earlier posts some 3-4 weeks ago.

BUT

nobody did and could help me.

It seems to me that SAMBA is _not compatible_ with WinXP.

On some sites it seems to work on others it doesnt. Perhaps it is a
question of patchlevel, WinXP version (french, german, english),
Installation type (native, images (ghost, driveimage, partimage)) or
what ever.

I also wrote a summary on what I found on the web to be advice for this
problem, but still no developer or Samba guru could answer the question.

But what is worse, NOBODY COULD TELL ME HOW TO DEBUG and to FIND OUT
what is going wrong.

So with this little information I quit using Samba as PDC. Samba now is
peer2peer server only. Alread had a thought on getting Win2003 Server
for PDC. I dont want all the Active Directory stuff. I just want to have
central user authentification and roaming profiles. but....no chance
with WinXP I guess.

Keep up digging, perhaps you will have more luck in discovering whats
wrong. (please drop me a note)
bye
Daniel