[Samba] Multiple Samba Instances on a Single Distribution.

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Wed Jan 29 01:54:25 GMT 2003

This is possible now. take a look at the following settings
in smb.conf that may have to be changed for each "server"

smb passwd file
log file
lock dir
pid directory
bind interfaces only
netbios name
interfaces

If you set these differently for each smb.conf and start smbd and nmbd
with the -s option to point to the correct smb.conf file you can have
totally independent servers. This works very well if you are not
sharing the same directories. If you share the same files you may
need to have "lock dir" point to the same location (I have not actually
tried this configuration but I have used the independent config).

Ryan Fulcher wrote:
| Hello, I am wondering if anyone else has thought that it might be good
| to be able to run multiple instances of samba on a single machine ?
|
| I currently accomplish this task with VMware and multiple vm's.
|
| But it seems to me that it may be simpler if samba were able to
| run multiple instenses, with unique configs and smbpasswds,
| binding to unique aliased ethernet devices!
|
| Such that on a single Linux server you might run:
| Samba:0 Domain_0 on eth0:0 10.10.10.10
| Samba:1 Domain_1 on eth0:1 10.10.10.11
| Samba:2 Domain_2 on eth0:2 10.10.10.12
| Samba:x Domain_x on eth0:x 10.10.10.xx
|
| Is there already a way to acomplish this?
| Would this be worth trying to implament?
| Is there a good reason NOT to attempt to do this?
|
| I want to do this because it would allow me to build a single
| server that is capable of acting like dozens of DC's, saving me
| hardware, space, and management headaches...
|
| ThanX, L8r
| Ryan (rfulcher at digipen.edu) - not on the list yet :(

- --
Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D