[Samba] Samba-to-samba migration

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Jan 22 16:45:03 GMT 2003

> Message: 21
> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:40:18 +1100
> From: Chris Nolan <chris at itoperations.com.au>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Samba-to-samba migration
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Samba box (Mandrake 8.1, Samba 2.2.2). I have another hard disc
> that has Mandrake 9.0 + Samba 2.2.7 on it. I am looking to install this
> other hard disc into the Mandrake 8.1 box and migrate everything over.
> Do I need to do anything other than copy the contents of /etc/samba
> (smb.conf, secrets.tdb etc) over to the new hard disc to ensure that our
> Windows 2000 Pro workstations are still members of the Samba-controlled
> domain?

/etc/samba/* should be sufficient for user accounts, but if you have
printers setup with downloadeable drivers, you may want (depending on
where the files were in 2.2.2 ) to grab /var/lib/samba/* and
/var/cache/samba/*. Also, I hope you have all the contents of all the
shares, since by default netlogon is in /var/lib/samba/netlogon, similar
for profiles.

And, when testing, ensure to test that profiles work on existing users,
both those with admin rights on the machine in question, and those without.

> Additionally, does anyone have any experience in setting up an entirely
> Samba-driven solution for fail-over? This place has two servers, and I
> was hoping to be able to setup Samba on both so that if the main one
> blows up/dies/gets stolen, everyone can still logon to the domain and
> see all their files (everyone saves all their stuff to the Samba box via
> drives mapped to their home directories and other places). All advice
> gratefully received. All amusing flames cheefully printed and stuck on
> the wall at the premises of subject.

IMHO, run with LDAP. Setup your main server as LDAP master, replicate to
the backup server, and do file synchronisation with rsync. Point your
samba on the backup server at it's own LDAP server ... and test.

smbpasswd -S on the backup server to get the domain SID.

Of course, while the master is down, password changes won't work.
Packges of 2.2.7a where ldap referral *should* work (we just migrated
our primary to a new server, and haven't yet setup the backup, so
haven't been able to test) will be up soon at
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/RPMS/9.0/samba-2.2.7a/ (-3mdk
or later, mail me if you need them and they're not up).

Buchan