[Samba] How do I get the @#$$% job name to show instead of smbprn.yada.ya da?

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Thu Jan 16 00:36:00 GMT 2003

I'm tinkering with this mod to my smb.conf,
and can't get the actual filename to be
displayed in the printed job history.

It's adapted from one Joel put out on the list
last year.  My impression is that it works for
everyone in the world but me....

All that ever shows up is smbprn.yada.yada...
in the printer's history of printed jobs.

print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
/usr/local/bin/lpr -P%p  -J"$a" -U%m %s;\
rm %s

Looking in /tmp/junkJ, the $a is the filename,
as it's supposed to be.

I'm running OpenBSD 3.2, LPRng 3.8.19.  Clients are
all Win2k/SP2.  The printer(s) are a mix of HP4s,
and a new Lanier 2138 (Ricoh 3800c in sheeps clothing).

I think something isn't being parsed/passed
correctly between Samba and LPRng.

Using the standard LPRng Print Command produces the
same results (lpr -P%p -r %s), so it almost seems
as though the -J%J job info parameter is being
ignored (when I add it to the Print Command)

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim