[Samba] Profile migration again

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Jan 15 21:28:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Gabriel D. Preston wrote:

> Using the -v flag gave me the same exact output from the ntuser.dat
> file.  This is becoming a rather frustrating problem to deal with, I'm
> sorry to have to continually keep bringing this up today.  Here is the
> output from the file using the -v option, and without using the -v option:
>
> root at file bin # ./profiles /home/gpreston/ntuser.dat
> Registry file size: 364544
> First Key Off: 32, Data Block Size: 360448
> Next Off: 0, Prev Off: 4096
> Type: 2c
> SK Off    : 105374
> Incorrect SK Header format: 00008AFC
>
> root at file bin # ./profiles -v /home/gpreston/ntuser.dat
> Registry file size: 364544
> First Key Off: 32, Data Block Size: 360448
> Next Off: 0, Prev Off: 4096
> Type: 2c
> SK Off    : 105374
> Incorrect SK Header format: 00008AFC
>
> If I run the profiles command on an ntuser.dat file that was created
> from a fresh profile, not one copied from a local profile to the samba
> server, I get a response back with all of the information in the file,
> including the user's SID.  But any ntuser.dat file that was taken from a
> local profile on the Win2K machine gives me the above problem.  It isn't
> readable by the profiles command.

You must first convert the profile from a local profile to a domain
profile on the MS Windows workstation as follows:

1. Log on as the LOCAL workstation administrator.

2. Right click on the 'My Computer' Icon, select 'Properties'

3. Click on the 'User Profiles' tab

4. Select the profile you wish to convert (click on it once)

5. Click on the button 'Copy To'

6. In the "Permitted to use" box, click on the 'Change' button.

7. Click on the 'Look in" area that lists the machine name, when you click
here it will open up a selection box. Click on the domain to which the
profile must be accessible.

Note: You will need to log on if a logon box opens up. Eg: In the connect
as: MIDEARTH\root, password: mypassword.

8. To make the profile capable of being used by anyone select 'Everyone'

9. Click OK. The Selection box will close.

10. Now click on the 'Ok' button to create the profile in the path you
nominated.

Done. You now have a profile that can be editted using the samba-3.0.0
profiles tool.

PS: To create a mandatory profile, just find the file NTUser.DAT and
rename it to NTUser.MAN. Of course, only do this AFTER editting the SIDs,
etc.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra