[Samba] wrong time/date with smbfs on powerpc (kernel 2.4.18)

Francois Taiani francois.taiani at laas.fr
Wed Jan 15 13:30:01 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I'm using samba 2.2.3a-12 from the debian woody distribution (kernel
2.4.18, ppc), and I have the following problem:

The modification time returned by "ls" is wrong (tipically 1/1/1970),
except when I directly access (1) one single file, (2) from outside of
the mounting point. (A bit confusing, but I give an example below:)

My mounting point is "/net/gailuron/ftaiani" and I have a symbolic link
"home-gailuron" in my home directory on it. Here's what I get from my
home directory:

---
$ ls -l home-gailuron/test
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftaiani  tsf  5 Jan 15 12:43 home-gailuron/test

$ ls -l home-gailuron/ | grep test
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftaiani  tsf  5 Jan  1  1970 test
---
("Jan  1  1970 test" is wrong)

Here's what happens when I set the working directory into the samba file
system:

---
$ cd home-gailuron
$ ls -l test
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftaiani  tsf 5 Jan  1  1970 test
$ ls -l | grep test
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftaiani  tsf 5 Jan  1  1970 test
---

Has anybody already experienced similar problems ? Do you think I should
upgrade my kernel or my samba distribution ? (Smbclient seems to work
just fine.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Francois

P.S.:

Those results do not seem to be totally reproductible. For instance
here's what I got after many tries from just above the mounting point
(i.e. /net/gailuron) (?!):

----
$ ls -l ftaiani/test
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftaiani  tsf 5 Jan  1  1970 ftaiani/test
$ ls -l ftaiani/test
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftaiani  tsf 5 Jan 15 12:43 ftaiani/test
----