[Samba] Samba Linux File Server, Windows XP Pro workstations, Adobe Indesign

Paul Kraus pkraus at pelsupply.com
Wed Jan 15 13:34:01 GMT 2003

I just replaced one of our windows file servers with a redhat 7.3 samba
server. I have the g (/home/advserver/g) share on the redhat box mapped
to g (go figure) on to xp pro workstations. The map drive is being
created on startup with this command. (both workstations use same login
information to the share)
	net use g: //server/g /USER:advserver /PERSISTENT:YES advserver
(this is on the xp pro workstations)

The server is used primarily for adobe indesign.
If indesign crashes that workstation can no longer open any indesign
files. It gets permission errors. However it can open any other file
type on the file server.

I can reboot a billion times and I will continue to get the same error.
"You do not have correct permissions to open this or this file is
already open"
	* Note that this will appear for any indesign file not just the
one that was open when the crash occurred)

To rectify I can change the net use command  to this....
	net use g: //server/g /USER:root /PERSISTENT:YES password  (no
my root password is not password) Open up an indesign file no problem.
disconnect the drive and reconnect with the original net use command and
everything works like a champ until the next crash.

in my attempts to troubleshoot I have set all files under g to
advserver:advserver with 777 permissions. In case it helps there where
no issues with the original file server.

I want to think its an indesign issues since its only .indd files that
have the problem. However my workaround of logging into the share under
root, logging out, logging back in under advserver again makes me think
that is a problem with smb.conf. Any and all input is always
appreciated.

relevant smb.conf
-----------------
[global]
        workgroup = PELNET
        netbios name = ADVSERVER
        server string = PEL File and Backup Server
        security = SHARE
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        preferred master = No