[Samba] Retrieveing group membership

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Mon Jan 13 17:00:01 GMT 2003

Martin,

	Is there an issue with using UNIX Group ownership of directories that
you are sharing amongst the users in those groups?

	For instance, let's say that you have a group called administration,
another called tech and yet another called developers.

	Here you have user A, B and C.

	In the groups file, this is what you would need...

	administration:x:901:A,C (Where A,B and C are the user names)
	tech:x:910:A,B,C
	developers:x:915:B,C

	Let's now say that you have some folders labeled; administration, tech
and developers. These folders are then shared with the same names through
Samba...

	So, you set the group ownerships of those files to the groups you
created in the UNIX Groups file... Then you will also need to change the
rights to include an g+s, which would make all newly created files and
sub-folders to be owned by the same group as the main folder/share.

	You do far more interesting and complicated nested shares and other
things that I unfortunately don't have the time to explain...

	The really nice thing about Samba is that you are using not only the
Samba permissions but also the underlying UNIX file system permissions as
well.

	If you need something clarified, respond to all and if I am able to I
will attempt to find time to answer the questions, if not I am certain
someone else will be able to answer them as well.

	Good luck!

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer