[Samba] smbclient/smbmount authentication methods

Antti Tikkanen antti.tikkanen at hut.fi
Mon Jan 13 17:07:51 GMT 2003

Hello,

Sorry if this is a well-documented thing, but I was not able to find clear
answers on this.

What authentication methods are smbclient and smbmount able to use? I am
trying to connect to a Windows 2000 file server, and from the packet dumps
I am able to see that the protocol dialect is NT LM 0.12. Is the
authentication done with LM, NTLM or NTLMv2? How can I tell the
difference?

I tried setting from the registry of the W2k server the
LMCompatibilityLevel to 5. After this, I could not connect with either
smbclient or smbmount. This would seem to say that NTLMv2 is not
supported?

(I have tried the Kerberos authentication support for smbclient, which is
a really nice feature and works fine!)

Best regards,
Antti Tikkanen

Antti.Tikkanen at hut.fi