[Samba] printer suddenly unavailable

robert.gehr at web2cad.de robert.gehr at web2cad.de
Mon Jan 13 08:10:01 GMT 2003

Hi there

I have a pretty strange problem that pops up once in a while.
Running samba 2.2.7a having installed a Samba machine as password server
sharing user info via NIS I have a couple of printers running here at our
place. Several of them are only accessible to a select group of people so I
defined the concerned printers share as:

[PrinterX]
valid users = user1, user2, user3 ....

Things work fine only once in a while one of the people who is allowed to
print to this share and has done so numerous times in the previous weeks
calls up and says he/she is unable to print. When I check the logs on samba
I get  "Rejecting user 'XXXX': authentication failed "
Reinstalling the printer on the client machine usually helps as well as a
reboot of the concerned client.

This has also happened versy seldom with shares once in a while. Concerned
are W2000, XP and NT machines.

Even though the person can not print anymore he/she can still access
his/her private shares which are bound to proper authentication as well.

Any ideas????

Best regards
Robert Gehr

"It is an act of evil to accept the state of evil as either inevitable or
final"
- Heschel acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize, 1986

web2CAD AG
Emailfabrikstrs. 12
92224 Amberg / Germany
visit: http://www.web2cad.com