[Samba] Keeping local Profiles in WinNT and W2K

Barzilai Spinak barspi at internet.com.uy
Fri Jan 10 17:05:02 GMT 2003

Yesterday I moved my LAN domain from a W2K server to Samba and I have
problems logging on
to my WinNT 4 machine using local profiles.
My boss's computer is a freshly installed W2K and it had no problem at
all with the change.
My computer is a WinNT4 SP 6 and when I tried to log on with my user it
said it couldnt find the profile
and logged me off immediately. I used to have a roaming profile stored
in that same machine with
WINNT\Profiles shared in the network. Now I want to have LOCAL profiles.
I logged on as a local Aministrator and mistakenly managed to delete my
old profile, but it doesn´t matter.
So I still can´t log on to my winnt machine, whereas my boss has no
problem on his w2k.
I tried playing a little with the variables  logon path and logon home
with no luck.

All the examples I´ve found talk about storing the profiles remotely
(for example in the server machine)
but I havent found a useful explanation of how to keep them local.
In fact, the W2K machine *is* keeping it locally in "Documents and
Settings" but WinNT can't
The man page says the the default value for logon path is \\%N\%U\profile
with %N being  "the  name  of your NIS home directory server"  which I'm
not sure what it means.
Whatever it means, it works fine for W2K but NT gives all kinds of
errors about not being able to load
the profile, or about some path being to long or wrong (so it logs me in
but I just have a blue desktop
and that's it... it can't start explorer)... well, different kinds of
errors depending on how I set the logon path
I tried sharing WINNT\Profiles but then it says it can't write a PDS
file  (however it created the barspi
directory perfectly well inside the shared resource)

IN SUM!!  I want to know if there 's a way so that each computer stores
its profiles locally,  whether they
are W2K or NT.

Since I'm not 100% certain of all steps I took, I'll explain them here.

* First I demoted the W2K machine (command dcpromo) so it became just a
regular server and not the PDC.
* Then I wrote a smb.conf file which I'll copy below.
* I recreated the users as explained in the Samba PDC HOWTO.
* I created by hand a machine account for my boss's computer (W2K) but
then tried the
   line   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
   which simplifies this step (taken from PDC HOWTO).
* I rejoined 4 computers to the new PDC (my boss's newly installed W2K,
the old W2K PDC that now isn't :-),
   a WinNT 4.0 workstation, and my own WinNT 4.0 server)
* The rest of the network is made of Win98 and they have no problems
with the change.

I should mention that I'm using Samba 2.2.1a and the NT machines are up
to SP 6
Follownig are the relevant parts of  smb.conf

[global]
   workgroup = CREACION
   netbios name = ROUTER

# BBB PDC
        os level = 64
        security = user
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        local master = True
        domain logons = yes

        encrypt passwords = Yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        unix password sync = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
*ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

        ;obey pam restrictions = Yes
        ;pam password change = Yes

   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false
-M %u

   name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
   wins support = yes
   wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = no

;BBB logon path = \\%m\Profiles\%U