[Samba] Windows XP and Samba 2.2.7a Print drivers--they upload fine, but driver list for printers is emtpy.

D. Aaron McCaleb amccaleb at reed-engineering.com
Fri Jan 10 17:10:01 GMT 2003

I am logged on as a domain admin and printer admin.

I have created and assigned the correct rights to /srv/printers and have
created W32X86 and WIN40 subdirectories.  I was able to go into server
properties and upload all the necessary drivers.  When I right click on the
printer and say "No." to "Printer driver not installed, do you want to
install the driver now?" the drivers list in the Advanced tab is empty.  I
can't choose from the printer drivers I've uploaded.

This is the correct procedure, according to "Samba Essentials for Windows
Administrators"  (A book that I don't really recommend, BTW... It only
focuses on SWAT and Webmin as management tools...and just glosses over the
config files.).  Here is my relevant globals, printers, and print$ sections
from smb.conf:

 domain admin group = root
 printer admin = root
 printing = lprng
 print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
 lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
 lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j

[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 printable = yes
 browseable = yes
 printer admin = root @users

[print$]
 path = /srv/printers
 guest ok = yes
 browseable = yes
 read only = yes
 write list = root

Any ideas what's wrong?  Is this an "XP Thang"?  And if so, other than
setting up an NT box (which really isn't an option), is there a suitable
workaround?

Thanks!