[Samba] Samba locking problem - is this a bug ?

Kostadin Galabov kostura at netclime.com
Tue Feb 25 10:14:36 GMT 2003

Hi,

I asked this once and no one seem to answer. So I'm trying once again:

I have the following problem:
I have a linux samba server and a lot of linux clients that connect to
it. What I noticed is that if one of the clients create new file and
starts do some operation on it - the file is unreadable for all other
clients (output od smbstatus: DENY_FCB RDWR       NONE) - which is OK I
suppose. But if the connection between the client and the server
disappears while client is working on the newly created file, the file
stays locked and in some occasions even when the connection is
established again the file stays locked, the client cannot access the
mounted drive - and the client should be restarted. Which is strange I
noticed that if a Windows client do the same operation - the file is at
least readable for other clients.
I played a lot with the lock options and tried to remove the DENY_FCB -
setting "share modes = no" but nothing helped - I have this problem.
So please advice - how can I prevent this file locking when connection
between master and client disappears ? For me this look like a bug.

Regards
Kostadin Galabov
Netclime Inc.