[Samba] Samba locking problem - is this a bug ?

Kurt Weiss input.maillists at kwnet.at
Tue Feb 25 11:38:28 GMT 2003

Kostadin Galabov schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I asked this once and no one seem to answer. So I'm trying once again:
>
> I have the following problem:
> I have a linux samba server and a lot of linux clients that connect to
> it. What I noticed is that if one of the clients create new file and
> starts do some operation on it - the file is unreadable for all other
> clients (output od smbstatus: DENY_FCB RDWR       NONE) - which is OK I

the type, how a file is opened, is decided by the programm, which is
opening.

> suppose. But if the connection between the client and the server
> disappears while client is working on the newly created file, the file

you mean breaks?

> stays locked and in some occasions even when the connection is
> established again the file stays locked, the client cannot access the
> mounted drive - and the client should be restarted. Which is strange I

at this time samba does not know, that the client is death. - seems,
that the client hangs.

> noticed that if a Windows client do the same operation - the file is at
> least readable for other clients.

the other client may have read access to the file. - the broken client
has a hangup in communication.

> I played a lot with the lock options and tried to remove the DENY_FCB -
> setting "share modes = no" but nothing helped - I have this problem.
> So please advice - how can I prevent this file locking when connection
> between master and client disappears ? For me this look like a bug.

that's not really successfull. - my mention is, that your client has a
big problem. - samba kills the locking after timeout, if the client is
death. - in your case it seems, the client answers to a "keep alive",
but cannot access the network... - so samba keeps the locking.

i cannot really help, without further information.
so, if the problem exists again, try something like that first:
- ping to the client
- check, if u have access from the client to another client
- check, if u have access from another client to the broken one
- check ifconfig for error packages on server and client.