[Samba] Samba using Virtual Servers (load balancing)

Matt Schillinger mschilli at vss.fsi.com
Tue Feb 25 15:35:05 GMT 2003

I believe that others are correct (look at linuxvirtualserver.org for
documentation and discussions on Samba in a clustered mode) in that
CIFS' peer to peer concept is very stateful..

On the other hand, samba can be made 'Highly available' without alot of
trouble. I have a High Available File server (NFS and Samba)
configuration with 2 nodes, in an active-active configuration.

If one of the servers is hung up, or requires maintenance, its services
(including samba) will failover to the other node. If a client is in the
middle of a samba served file operation, they will see an error, but an
immediate retry of the file operation will work fine from the failover
server.  Because of CIFS' handling of files, it is very safe, because if
you are performing a file move, the original file is not deleted until
after a 'copy' is completed. So, if there's a failure, all you need to
do is restart the procedure.

Matt Schillinger
mschilli at vss.fsi.com