[Samba] Re: FreeBSD 5.0 + ACLs

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 23:56:19 GMT 2003

--- Adam Smith <adam.smith at sageautomation.com> wrote:
> I am playing with a test box at the moment running a
> Samba 2.2.7a domain
> on FreeBSD 5.0.  I wish to enable ACLs, but I am not
> exactly sure what I
> am supposed to expect once they are enabled.
>
> I have created a UFS2 partition and enabled ACL
> support using tunefs.
> Since doing that, I have been able to connect to the
> Samba shares and
> modify ACLs, but so far the only things I have been
> able to accomplish
> are changing ownership, and modifying the o/g/u
> permissions.
>
> As I understand it, because UFS2 supports ACLs, am I
> not supposed to be
> able to create more thorough ACLs (much like NTFS
> can?)
>
> Have I chosen the correct file-system to do the job?

It appears you have.

We're using ACL support on Linux and ext3.  We had to
patch our kernel and got ACL options when we did.
After booting the new kernel, we were able to add
'acl' after 'defaults' in fstab.  You _might_ need the
same; run "mount" and see what the options are next to
your partition.

The next step (and what you're probably missing) is
compiling samba --with-acl-support (or something like
that.. do ./configure --help | grep -i acl).  I
tweaked a .spec file in a SRPM and you might have to
edit your port's Makefile or something.

We also had to install acl/libacl/libacl-devel and
attr/libattr/libattr-devel (e.g. binaries, libraries,
and development headers+includes) packages in order to
compile.  In FreeBSD this probably means compiling the
acl/libacl/attr/libattr tarballs, but look at
acl.bestbits.at and the FreeBSD docs for more help
there.  WATCH your ./configure output and make sure it
enables ACL support.. don't just assume!  It was there
we determined we needed the above packages.

We used "Sam's Teach Yourself Samba In 24 Hours" as a
guide, and it can no doubt help you, too.

/dev/idal