[Samba] net rpc vampire problems

tbey at tbey.com tbey at tbey.com
Tue Dec 16 08:05:20 GMT 2003

> But if I user lowercase, it works. I wasn't aware of a restriction on
> creating uppercase usernames. Is this supposed to happen?
> Anyone else know why my machine accounts aren't getting migrated?
> Pretty please?

Dan,

What flavor of Linux are you using.  I just did a migration using Samba
3.0 and RedHat ES 3.0.  I ran into the same problem.  That is because
RedHat does not allow you to create user names with uppercase letters.
The other problem I had was with group names.  The way I got around it was
to write my own scripts that change the machine name from upper to lower
case.  I put the reference in the smb.conf:  add machine script =
xxxxxx.sh

This is the script:**********************************************

#!/bin/sh
# Script to  add machines

# Checks to see if a command line argument was passwd
if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then
	echo .
	echo "Did not pass an argument on the command line"
	echo "usage: conv.sh \"THIS is a TEST\""
	echo .
	exit 0
fi

# Passes the command line argument. Reduces the string length and converts
to lower case

lower=`echo $1 | sed y/[ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ\
]/[abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\_]/`

#This is the section in which you call the useradd and pass the Unix
compliant name

/usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -s /sbin/nologin -d /dev/null $lower
exit 0