[Samba] net rpc vampire problems

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Tue Dec 16 23:33:47 GMT 2003

tbey at tbey.com wrote:

>>But if I user lowercase, it works. I wasn't aware of a restriction on
>>creating uppercase usernames. Is this supposed to happen?
>>Anyone else know why my machine accounts aren't getting migrated?
>>Pretty please?
>>

>Dan,
>
>What flavor of Linux are you using.

I'm running Gentoo ( current ).

>  I just did a migration using Samba
>3.0 and RedHat ES 3.0.  I ran into the same problem.  That is because
>RedHat does not allow you to create user names with uppercase letters.

I tried the script below. I had to edit out an extra '_' at the end of
the sed bit. The command works great if I run it myself from a console,
but when I point the add user script at it, I still get the same
problem, but only about 50% of the time ... some accounts are getting
created. However NONE of the machine accounts created let me log into
the new domain from a PC that was already on the old network - I still
get the 'this machine's account is missing or the password is wrong' error.

Maybe someone can satisfy my curiosity here...
WTF is supposed to be going on in the machine account creation? The
adduser script is called ( which in my case doesn't work ). So say I
have created these machine accounts by hand already. What's next? The
password bit, right? Can I do this myself too? Where does the machine
account's password go ... in /etc/shadow? Can I get it from somewhere
and add it myself?

On a side note, the not-being-able-to-create-uppercase-usernames issues
needs to be fixed...

Anyway, thanks to those that have helped so far.