[Samba] Folder Redirection with NT4 Domains

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Dec 14 16:31:03 GMT 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Kristyan Osborne wrote:

> Hiya,
>  Redirecting My Documnets isn't a tricky one. Just right click ->
> properties and change the target location. This is automatically done in
> our network by changing the location in the default profile. This is
> then applied to every user when they first logon. Do you mean Local
> Settings or the Application Data folder. The Applications Data folder is
> part of the profile anyway. I cant see why you would want to copy the
> Local Settings directory with your profile.

Got that bit. Changing the default profile is the obvious answer but not
what some admins want. The objection I have run into is that this requires
per machine changes and for a large shop this is labour intensive.

On Win2Kx ADS this can be done through a GPO (group policy object). With
Samba the technique has to change a little to get around the lack of ADS
GPO support.

Seems that with Win2kx/XPP the use of '.reg' files does not work for other
than limited local machine changes only. The result is that running from
the login script:
	regedt32 /S fixup.reg
where 'fixup.reg' contains the hive changes necessary largely does not
work for changes other than to HKLM (HIVE_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE). I am
searching for insight into how other admins affect profile management
(particularly for folder redirection) in the absence of GPOs.

Cheers,
John T.